Tomorrow is the anniversary of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta’s death. It’s currently acknowledged to be her feast day, so we will be remembering it.
Some quick facts
- Born on August 26, 1910 in Albania
- In September 1928 she joined the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary, known as Sisters of Loreto in Ireland
- She received the name Sister Mary Teresa after St. Therese of Liseux
- She arrived in Calcutta in January 1929
- In 1931 she was assigned to the Loreto Entally Community and taught at the St. Mary’s school for girls.
- She made her final profession of vows in 1937 and from then on was known as Mother Teresa.
- In 1946 she received her inspiration from Jesus to establish the Missionaries of Charity.
- She died September 5, 1997
- For more bio info see the mention on Catholic Culture
- I’m planning on using the Crock Pot Pineapple Curry Chicken Recipe from Catholic Cuisine
- And attempting to make Naan (which I LOVE, but haven’t ever tried to make because it sounded too scary, but this recipe didn’t look too bad… we’ll see)
- Found two coloring pages for the kids, link to both
- Read her speech for her Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 (it’s probably too lengthy for my little ones to sit through, so I’ll be doing this on my own)
A Prayer of Mother Teresa
Dear Jesus, help me to spread Thy fragrance everywhere I go. Flood my soul with Thy spirit and love. Penetrate and possess my whole Return to being so utterly that all my life may only be a radiance of Thine. Shine through me and be so in me that every soul I come in contact with may feel Thy presence in my soul. Let them look up and see no longer me but only Jesus. Stay with me and then I shall begin to shine as you shine, so to shine as to be a light to others.
There are so many quotes that I could put into this post, but I wanted to share this one which appeared in our parish bulletin a few weeks back which I cut out and put above my sink, because it really speaks to things that I’ve been thinking about/trying to improve recently:
People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered;FORGIVE THEM ANYWAY.If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;BE KIND ANYWAY.If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;SUCCEED ANYWAY.If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;BE HONEST AND FRANK ANYWAY.What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;BUILD ANYWAY.If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;BE HAPPY ANYWAY.The good you do today people will often forget tomorrow;DO GOOD ANYWAY.Give the world the best you have. It may never be enough;GIVE THE WORLD THE BEST YOU”VE GOT ANYWAY.You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and GOD;IT WAS NEVER BETWEEN YOU AND THEM ANYWAY.