Nicholas James: A birth story


Nicholas James

I promised a few weeks back I would try and write up a birth story for baby Nicholas. And I have a *very few* precious moments this afternoon, so we’ll see how far we get. Also, going to link it up to Michaela’s Theme Thursday post as this week’s theme is “New Life” and… well… this is new life… so….. Two birds, one stone or something like that (although, there really should be a less morbid analogy).

To start this story I need to back up to a few days before. We had decided to go with my family (parents, siblings, etc…) for a family weekend (Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon) to an Abbey about 45 minutes from our house. Now, when plans were made to go up there (about a month previous), I knew that it could potentially be cutting it close to the due date.


I figured I wouldn’t go that early, since I never have in the past. Anywhere from two days to six days early has been my norm (with three out of the previous four babies going at two days  “early”).

{You know where this story is headed right?}

N birth story pics-3

Anyways, so there we were at this Abbey having a great weekend. Romping around the grounds, visiting the farm, visiting the gift shop, exploring the huge guest house we had to ourselves. We even managed to get in a busted chin, archery practice, and a family meeting. All in all a full weekend.

Saturday night I decided to take a bath in one of the absolutely amazing bath tubs. I clearly remember thinking, when I was crawling into bed soon after that “well, we made it through the weekend, and I guess no baby. I haven’t even had a contraction all day, with all this walking around”.

Sunday morning 4:30 AM.

N birth story pics-4

Woke to my water breaking. Not a trickle. But, what felt like buckets of water. I made it out of bed and managed to grab a towel without totally drenching/ruining the bed, carpet or anything else. (Remember, we were still at the guest house, and I definitely didn’t want to ruin anything there… But, I found out later that if I had managed to ruin the mattress it would have been fine, because they would have loved an excuse to get a new one…)

I should at this point mention that my water has never broken early in labor (except with Katherine where it supposedly broke at some point, but I didn’t feel it). My water has always broken minutes, minutes (like less than ten) before my babies have arrived. So, to say I freaked out a little would be an understatement.

But, I gave myself a quick “assessment” and realized that I actually still wasn’t feeling any contractions, so it was probably very unlikely that baby would just pop out in the next few minutes. I placed a call to the midwife and woke Jared up, both those helped to calm me down, but I still ended up just sitting on the bed bawling because… I don’t know… pent up emotions I think.

Midwife suggested to come in, since I had tested positive for Group B Strep, AND since we were 45 minutes away AND since we didn’t know how fast I would progress. Woke up my parents, and let them know what was going on. We drove their car back home, dropped off a few things we didn’t need, picked up a few things we did, switched the car for Jared’s truck and headed the five minutes down the road to the hospital.

We did our triage stuff (I was about 3-4 cm at that point). They did one more quick ultrasound to check baby’s position since she couldn’t feel the head. He was head down, he was just so far down and towards the back that I guess it was hard to tell.

I walked myself up to the delivery room, was tired of sitting by that point as it was getting on towards 6:30/7:00. I did a little bit of walking, swaying, moving stuff once I was in the room. I knew I wanted to have an epidural, but decided since I wasn’t so far along that I would move around and much as I could before to get things more progressed.

{And here’s where things just get very uneventful and “boring”}

Around 10:30 I asked for the epidural. After doing it twice, since it didn’t go in the right spot the first time (I think he said it got into a blood vessel instead of the space?), I got comfy and tried to rest. At some point around noon the nurse checked me (she was trying to learn cervical checks), and said I was about a 7. (Yay! only a few more hours I thought).

About 1:30 they checked me again, said I was at a 10. They got themselves ready and started pushing around 1:45.

Nicholas was born at 2:01 PM.

minutes after birth
minutes after birth

I remember grabbing at him almost before he was out to pull him up to my chest. And the only thing I could think was “he’s so tiny!!!” He weighed 7lbs 5oz. so compared to Zachary (who was 10lbs at birth) he was just so, so scrawny.

(These were taken a few days after we go home… Now, my brothers hands are by no means slender, but…. these are still some skinny legs..).

If you recall a few months ago I wrote about not being super excited for this pregnancy, and if I’m perfectly honest I was still very nervous at the thought of having another baby up until we were on our way to the hospital.

Now, you could say I’ve come around. I find myself gazing at this little guy, kinda wondering why God allowed us to have another baby when we already had one, but also so happy and excited and full of incredible joy.

Of course, that’s all helped along by the fact that he’s an absolutely GREAT night-time sleeper 🙂

N birth story pics-2

4 thoughts on “Nicholas James: A birth story

  1. He is just so so precious. It’s making me very impatient to meet my little guy, but I still have weeks to go. A minimum of 4 but a max of 8, 8 being more likely based on the last two late babies. ;/

    Anyway, so so happy for you. And I took the liberty of adding your link to the link-up now that I fixed it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what I've just posted. I do read and truly appreciate all comments. They make me smile!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s